Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Week 6 - Thing 15

I definitely think libraries need to keep going forward with all the technology changes and updates. We need staff that is technically savvy and able to work with customers remotely and in person. Libraries no longer need to be the holder and controller of print information and instead need to be sources of information gathering and assist patrons in best accessing all forms of information. I believe libraries will always need to be operating and open to all people. Patrons will always want books to read and we can provide that, however, I do agree that we do not need to collect based on the "just in case" practice.

The web articles were all very interesting and definitely made me contemplate my future role as a librarian and the overall role of libraries. I strongly agree with the article by Dr. Wendy Schultz about the library as community. This is what drew me into the field of library science and I know it is what will keep me trying to learn all these new technologies, tools and web sources so I can help patrons to the best of my ability.

So much to mull over...

It makes me want to grab a good cup of coffee, a brand new book and relax in my local library!

No comments: